I saw this survey on Matt’s blog a few days ago, and I just couldn’t resist filling it out for myself. I’m always eager for an excuse to talk about my favorite holiday
1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?
I’ve never tasted egg nog (I guess that should be added to my list of unexplored foods), so I’ll go with hot chocolate.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Santa wraps the presents—in his own distinctive wrapping paper, no less! We wouldn’t want to confuse his gifts with those from Mom and Dad.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
I like little white lights, although there is a certain vintage appeal to the big, fat colored ones that appear on the tree in A Christmas Story.
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No…I don’t think I’ve ever even seen mistletoe. Guess I don’t do a lot of smoochin’ on Christmas.
5. When do you hang your decorations up?
Typically, we wait until mid-December when I arrive from North Carolina, but this year
we Mom decorated right after Thanksgiving in preparation for a party.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
I’ve been known to hog the cranberry sauce.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
I have many beloved holiday memories from my childhood, particularly since my birthday is so close to Christmas. However, I vividly remembered when I took a peek at the gift closet and saw the Barbie RV intended for me. It was so much less fun to open on Christmas morning…haven’t peeked at my presents ever since!
8. What is on your Christmas Wish list?
In an effort to join the 21st century, I would like to have an iPhone, but I would really love an engagement ring. I think Santa is much more likely to bring the former!
9. Do you open a gifts on Christmas Eve?
We used to open up one gift on Christmas Eve when we were children, but now that in-laws have entered the picture, it’s rare that the whole family is together on Christmas Eve.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
My apartment Christmas tree has a strict red and white theme…but my parents’ tree has no such restrictions. Every ornament from 1977 to 2011 appears on their tree—lots of memories there!
11. Snow? Love it or dread it?
Having lived in Alabama for 16 years, I am seriously deprived of snow—so I am delighted whenever I see it!
12. Real tree or fake tree?
I prefer real, but sometimes fake is necessary. (i.e., when your brother-in-law is allergic to pine).
13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I’ve had many fabulous gifts in my lifetime, but I remember being really excited about my Trader Joe’s gift card a few years ago. Sometimes the simple ones are the best!
14. What’s the most important thing about Christmas for you?
The most important thing about Christmas is celebrating the coming of Christ, but I also really enjoy having the opportunity to spend time with my loving family. I am truly blessed!
15. What is your favorite Holiday dessert?
Christmas cookies, of course!
16. What is your favorite tradition?
Speaking of Christmas cookies, I love our annual baking bonanza. My mom and I always make a big batch of my great-grandmother’s tea cakes for Christmas. We usually have lots of holiday music and hungry dogs to accompany the cookie making
17. What tops your tree?
18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving?
Although I love the surprise of opening up gifts from others, I really enjoy watching people’s reactions when they open a gift from me. Most of the time it’s a happy one.
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
This is an impossible question! I love all Christmas music—from classical (“Il Est Ne”) to traditional (Karen Carpenter’s “There’s No Place Like Home for the Holidays”) to the pop-tastic (N’Sync’s “Kiss Me at Midnight”), I love it all!
20. Candy canes, yuck or yum?
Yum…but I hate how sticky my hands get. Icky.
21. Favorite Christmas Movie?
Again, there are many: Elf, The Grinch, and Christmas Vacation.
22. What do you leave for Santa?
Christmas cookies and carrots for Rudolph.
23. Do you have a Christmas morning tradition?
We open stockings, eat breakfast, then open presents. This year will be different, however. We won’t congregate at my parents’ house until 4 or 5 PM.
24. Do you prefer to shop on-line or at the mall?
Online! I am a bargain hunter, so comparing prices is way easier online.
25. Christmas letter or Christmas card?
A letter! I love hearing the year’s news from friends and family.
Now it’s your turn! Answer any of the above questions—tell me about your holiday traditions!
Filed under: Uncategorized