Now that I’ve had several days to (repeatedly) enjoy its flavor in various forms, I can say with certainty: homemade applesauce is amazing. I’m thinking it will become a regular thing in our household.
I’ve incorporated said applesauce in several of my meals and snacks thus far, but one of my favorites was in the form of French toast.
Applesauce-Stuffed French Toast
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons homemade applesauce, or packaged unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons smooth almond butter (optional)
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup (optional)
1. Spray a medium skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together egg white, almond milk, and cinnamon shallow bowl or rimmed plate.
3. Spread bread with applesauce and ricotta. Sandwich together and soak in egg mixture.
4. Transfer sandwich to the pre-heated pan and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden; flip and cook the other side.
5.Meanwhile, you can make the optional almond butter dip/topping. Simply place almond butter and maple syrup in a small bowl. Microwave for 15-20 seconds until thinned. Whisk slightly until well combined. Serve with stuffed French toast.
Nutrition per entire recipe (including optional almond butter topping): 342 Calories, 10.8g fat, 13mg cholesterol, 408mg sodium, 48.4g carbohydrate, 6.7g fiber, 22.0g sugars, 17.1g protein
Filed under: Recipe