Remember last week when I mentioned my plans to make savory pancakes? Well I tried it out this morning, and the results were pretty fantastic. That Kodiak Cakes mix gets major bonus points for versatility.
The inspiration for the particular flavors I chose to put in these pancakes was really based on what was in the fridge this morning: leftover cheddar (from these biscuits), a jalapeno pepper, and corn (both from last night’s white chili). As it turns out, all those ingredients make for a wicked tasty pancake.
Savory Jalapeno Pancakes
- 1/3 cup Kodiak Cakes mix*
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, minced finely
- 2 tablespoons corn kernels
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar
- non-stick cooking spray
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. Whisk together pancake mix and chili powder in a medium bowl. Add water, jalapeno, corn, and cheddar. Mix until just combined.
2. Coat a skillet or griddle with non-stick cooking spray, and place it over medium heat.
3. Once cooking surface is hot, pour batter onto it, using about 1/4th cup per pancake. Allow to cook until bubbles cease to form. Flip and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
Nutrition per entire recipe: 238 Calories, 7.7g fat, 20mg cholesterol, 385mg sodium, 32.6g carbohydrate, 5.6g fiber, 3.1g sugars, 16.1g fat
*You could use your own mix of whole grain flour, leavening, milk, and eggs of course, but understand that the nutritional information will be different depending on your recipe.
**I chose not to add any additional salt to the batter because the pancake mix already has a good amount of sodium and therefore a pretty salty flavor.
***As I was eating these pancakes, I thought how delicious they would be served with scrambled eggs!
Filed under: Recipe