For this the third edition of the Salad Lady postings, I’ll share with you a bit of the old and the new; the first recipe featured below is one I’ve been perfecting over several months, while the second is a combination that I just happened to discover in the kitchen last week. Without further ado, check out how the Salad Lady has been getting her roughage lately.
“Strawberry Fields Forever” Salad
Cottage cheese and berries has long been a favorite combination of mine but one would hardly consider it a meal in itself…or is it? I sought out a way to make this nutritious and delicious duo into a light lunch, and this is the masterpiece of flavors that resulted—the fruits of my labor, if you will (dorky pun completely intended).
(Makes 1 large entree salad)
- 2-3 cups raw spinach, rinsed
- 2 T. toasted wheat germ
- 3/4 cup 1% cottage cheese (such as Friendship brand)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 T walnuts, chopped
- cinnamon (optional)
1. Place spinach in serving bowl. Top with 1 tablespoon of wheat germ.
2. Add cottage cheese, and top with cinnamon (if using) and remaining wheat germ. Carefully place sliced strawberries over the greens and cottage cheese, and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
3. Dig in.
-Variations of this salad include using other berries (e.g., blackberries) or alternative nuts (e.g., almonds or pistachios). Feel free to make substitutions according to your preferences, but please keep the wheat germ—it adds lovely texture to the cottage cheese!
Sweet Potato-Black Bean Salad with Ginger Peanut Dressing
It’s common knowledge by now that sweet potatoes and black beans are the best flavor duo since peanut butter and jelly. Hence, it should come as no surprise that I thought to combine them in a salad. Doused with peanut-buttery dressing, it’s pretty much like a flavor symphony in your mouth. I promise.
(Makes one large entree salad)
- 2-3 cups raw spinach, rinsed
- 1 small sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup no-salt-added canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small Champagne mango, diced
- Ginger Peanut Dressing (recipe follows)
- fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
1. In a small bowl, combine sweet potatoes with cumin, paprika, and chili powder. Microwave for 1-2 minutes until fork-tender. Set aside to cool.
2. Place spinach in serving bowl. Top with mango, black beans, and cooled sweet potatoes. Drizzle with Ginger Peanut Dressing, and sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
Ginger Peanut Dressing
- 1 T creamy natural peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 packet stevia
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1-2 T water
1. Place all ingredients except water in a small bowl. Microwave for 15-20 seconds until bubbling.
2. Whisk vigorously until well-combined. Add water until it reaches an easily pourable consistency. Stir well, and add to salad.
-I chose to rely on the microwave for both the salad and the dressing recipes, but if you have the time, crisping up the sweet potatoes in the oven and assembling the dressing on the stovetop would yield similar results.
-I opted to sweeten my dressing with stevia extract, but feel free to substitute the sweetener of your choice, such as agave nectar or raw sugar.
Filed under: Recipe